Friday, August 26, 2011

Sticking to my gut

In my first post I explained how my project would have an impact and how I was passionate about it. I love movies that affect the audience and I would love to have that kind of impact by making a movie of my own. Impact and passion, I learned in our senior retreat, are essential to our senior projects. From my summer reading I also know that autonomy, mastery and purpose are other necessities that will help me feel motivated and want to complete my senior project.
Like many of my classmates, I felt discouraged from learning that mastery was something "intangible". The maxim "practice makes perfect" was, unfortunately, not true. I learned that no matter how hard I try, I cannot truly master anything. However, after reading one of my classmate's posts, I realized that that shouldn't stop me from trying to do my senior project. Because I have autonomy, it is entirely up to me whether I want to make this a good or bad senior year. This project is one of the few things that are (almost) entirely up to us. We help each other decide what we want to do and how to do it, then I'm the one that decides whether or not I put in the effort to do it. This is one of those few projects where we are in the driver's seat. I hope my classmates can see that so they can be successful with their projects. I hope they realize that they shouldn't just pick a project because it's easy or because they "couldn't really think of anything and had no other options". Projects with a purpose that one doesn't truly believe in, aren't going to be fun. Those projects are the ones you dread doing- the ones where you are limited by a teacher's rules and regulations. Hopefully my class can find something worthwhile in their projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment