Thursday, August 25, 2011

Something to call your own

Autonomy, mastery, and purpose. These are the three elements of motivation that Daniel H. Pink talks about in his book. We are completely free to do whatever we please for our project, so the concept of autonomy, in this case, is taken care of. With this freedom, finding motivation shouldn't be so hard since we can do this project on anything. If we were to have been assigned what to do for the project, that would limit our ideas and the projects probably wouldn't be as good because we wouldn't be doing something we really enjoy doing. I really like the idea of being able to do anything we want, but what's going to make it difficult is the fact that there is an endless list of things we can do, and I think that is why I'm having such a difficult time figuring out what it is exactly that I'm going to do.

As for mastery, I believe that it doesn't really exist. There are some people who are better at what they do than others, but nobody is perfect at anything. Practice does not make perfect, it only makes you better, but not really to the point where you are the best. For example in art, there is no such thing as perfect. Pretty much anything could be considered art and anybody can create art. It is all about creating something you visualize; something unique. Something only you see. One of things that has always bothered me, but I know it must be done, is the fact that schools give out grades to students in art classes. I am not a big fan of that because there's no way a simple number can be put on your creativity. Art should be all about having the freedom of painting, drawing, or sculpting anything you like. It's about creating something you can call your own.

Passion. As far as passion goes, I am not sure what it is yet, but I know once I find out I will do my project based on that. That way I know I will be giving it my all if I'm really passionate about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment