Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Reflection

Am I a better person now than I was at the beginning of this project? I would have to say yes. There is no doubt in my mind that this project has helped me grow as a person. I remember being very intimidated when the senior project was first assigned. Then when I finally figured out what I was going to do the pressure just increased. I wanted to paint a mural in a children's place in order to make a kid smile. I knew what I wanted to do, now I just had to figure out how to do it.
It took a lot from me having to e-mail and call people I don't know but I had to get over that timidness if I ever wanted to find a place to paint. Rebecca and I called the Make-A-Wish foundation and Texas Children's Hospital but even thought they liked our idea they couldn't provide us the space to make it happen. Those two were a bit of a disappointment but we did not give up. In the end, thanks to some connections a lady - Janet Peden - got interested and decided to offer us a place a wall in her Boys and Girls club. This process definitely taught me persistence and it paid off. We were able to get a place and accomplish the first part of our project.
This project also helped me learn more about smiling. I have always liked to smile but now I know that it can actually make a difference on a person. Specially on a child. It can make them be on a good mood, keep them away from depression, and send a signal to their body that everything can be okay, even if they are going through a hard time.
I have grown because now I see that I can make a difference on a person. This has made an even more cheerful person. I always say Hi! and smile to people walking by. I like talking even more to the younger kids. And I enjoy now more than ever spending time with my sister, Karen.
The steps Rebecca and I have taken is that we know now which days we are going to go over and start the painting process, mostly during creativity week but we also scheduled some Fridays. Now we need to start focusing on researching more about the smiling part.

No comments:

Post a Comment